- B.C. Home
- Personal Supports Home
- Functional Needs
- Additional Resources
- Contact Us
Links related to equipment and assistive devices and other disability related topics.
Many of these links can be useful tools to find out more about what may be available to meet your needs.
Table of contents
- Province of British Columbia
- BC Health Authorities
- Federal Seniors and Disability Portals
- Equipment and Assistive Technology
- Functional needs
- Human Rights
- Independent Living
- Peer Support and Self Management
- Sports and Recreation
- Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development
- Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Community Living BC
- Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Social Development
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Justice
Visit the Health Authorities' web sites for information about service providers in your community, as well as for information about the Health Authority.
- Fraser Health Authority
- Interior Health Authority
- Northern Health Authority Northern
- Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
- Fraser Health Authority
- Seniors Canada On Line
- Seniors Canada Services for Seniors: A Guide to Government of Canada Services for Seniors and their Families
- Persons with Disabilities On Line (federal site)
- Canada Benefits-information on benefits available to BC residents
An American searchable database with information on approximately 19,000 assistive devices.
A Canadian directory of free or inexpensive adaptive computer technology.
- Adaptive Device Locator System (ADLS)
An American database of equipment and assistive devices with a useful hierarchical search.
- Inclusive Design Research Centre
Resources, tutorials, links, papers, research about accessible technology.
- Apple Disability Resources
Information on adaptive hardware and software for Apple products.
- Assistive Tech (CATEA)
American site providing access to information on assistive technology, including a wiki.
- Assistive Devices Industry Office-Industry Canada
Information about assistive technology in Canada.
- Closing the Gap
A paid subscription American searchable database of computer-related products and services.
Six European databases of assistive technology, most with extensive English entries.
- Microsoft Accessibility
Resources for assistive technology solutions for Windows-based computers.
- Open Source Assistive Technology Software (OATS)
Open source assistive technology software site.
- Trace Center
An American non-profit research center which focuses on making standard computer technologies and systems more accessible for people with disabilities.
- REHADAT (National Institute for Disability Management and Research)
A searchable Canadian database of work-related equipment and assistive devices, REHADAT Canada also contains disability management information, in other related databases.
- International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (ISAAC)
An international society that provides information and advocacy for individuals who use AAC.
- Anxiety BC
Self help and referral information about anxiety related conditions.
- Canadian Mental Health Association (BC Chapter)
Information resources, education, peer support, direct services, research and advocacy related to promoting mental health.
- Here to Help
BC web site containing information on mental health, mental disorders and substance use problems and disorders.
- Spinal Cord Injury Canada
- Resources, community, support.
Extensive resource about wheelchairs
- Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB)
Tips, technology and information related to low vision/blindness.
- Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
An extensive British web site, with international information, for blind and visually impaired individuals.
- Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
A compendium of technology for blind and visually impaired persons.
- Canadian Institute for the Relief of Pain and Disability
Links, resources, information
- BC Aboriginal Network on Disability Society (BCANDS)
Resources and advocacy for aboriginal persons with disabilities.
- National Education Association of Disabled Students (NEADS)
Includes extensive online resource centre with a comprehensive guide to scholarships and grants for students with disabilities.
- Canada Business Network
Canada Business site of information for entrepreneurs with disabilities.
- Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work
Resources for employment for persons with disabilities.
- Job Accommodation Network
American resource-includes a searchable database (SOAR) that lists possible job accommodations for persons with disabilities.
- National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety (USA)
Major American web site for work-related disability and health and safety information
- WorkAble Solutions
Provides information to BC employers and to BC job seekers with disabilities-contains useful information and has a list of open job postings.
- Workplace Accommodation Toolkit
Industry Canada's resource for employers and employees looking for information about accommodations to worksites for persons with disabilities.
- BC government employment site
- WorkSafe BC
Information related to prevention of injuries, ergonomics etc.-as well as compensation related information.
- Chronic Disease Self Management Program
A lay-led patient education program offered in communities throughout British Columbia.
- Spinal Cord Injury Peer Information Library on Technology (SCIPilot)
A resource describing the assistive technology experiences of individuals with spinal cord injury from their own perspective.
- Canadian Paralympic Committee
- Wheelchair Basketball Canada
- Canadian Wheelchair Sports Association
- Paralympic Sports Association